Vanilla Bean Crème Fraiche Mousse with
Cinnamon Pecans and Dried Fruit Syrup
Recipe By: Katie Brown
Vanilla Bean Crème Fraiche Mousse:
1 Vanilla bean, cut in half lengthwise and insides scraped out.
2 oz Sugar
½ # Crème Fraiche (sour cream, Greek yogurt can be substituted)
1 ½ Gelatin sheets (1 ½ tsp. powdered unflavored gelatin can be
1 cup Heavy cream
1 cup Cinnamon Pecans, chopped. Reserve 6 for garnish.
1. Prepare 6 ½ cup molds. I use a PVC pipe mold lined with acetate
film, but flex mold can be used also or it can be poured into a
bowl or storage container and scooped out with an ice cream
scoop after it has
2. Place the sugar in a bowl, scrape the inside of the vanilla bean
into the sugar. Use the grains of sugar to break up the vanilla so it
is not clumpy.
3. Add the crème fraiche and whisk gently to incorporate the sugar.
4. Bloom the gelatin in ice cold water, when soft pour out the water.
If using powdered gelatin sprinkle it over the recommended
amount of water.
5. Mix ¼ cup of the crème fraiche mixture with the gelatin. Heat
over a double boiler or in the microwave. When the gelatin is
melted remove from the heat and stir back into the reserved
crème fraiche mixture.
6. Whip the cream to soft peaks. When the crème fraiche mixture is
room temperature, fold the whipped cream into it. (If you try and
do this when the crème fraiche is warm it will melt the whipped
7. Add the chopped Cinnamon Pecans then pour into desired molds.
8. Place them in the freezer for 24 hours. They will pop out of the
molds easily after they are frozen. Allow them to defrost in the
refrigerator after unmolding. If you are just going to scoop them
then put the mixture in the refrigerator to set, it is not necessary
to freeze them.
9. Garnish the top with the reserved Cinnamon Pecans.
For the Dried Fruit Syrup:
3 cups Water
3 ¾ cup Sugar
4 oz Dried apricots, cut in quarters
2 oz Prunes, cut in quarters
2 oz Golden raisins
4 oz Dried cherries
1 orange, zested and juiced
1. Combine the water and sugar in a bowl and bring to a boil.
2. When all the sugar is dissolved add all the dried fruit, orange zest
and orange juice to the pot and simmer until the dried fruit is soft
and the syrup has thickened.
3. Cool and serve with the Crème Fraiche Mousse.